Marjory Kennedy-Fraser - ‘Songs of the Hebrides’ – 3 vols.
Marjory Kennedy-Fraser came from Perth and was the daughter of David Kennedy a singer and former Perth Precentor. Mrs Kennedy-Fraser was also a singer and collector of Hebridean Folk Songs where she collaborated with the Rev. Kenneth MacLeod. She gave many concerts to the Gaelic Society of Perth and when she died in 1930 the Society decided to erect an inscribed bronze tablet at her home in Perth. This was duly done in 1931 and a plaque to commemorate her was erected on the wall at 60/62 High Street, Perth.
Born in Skye, he was Headmaster of The Caledonian Road School, Perth from 1950 to 1968, Chief of the Gaelic Society of Perth from 1950 -1957 and National President of An Comunn Gaidhealach from 1971-75. In 1971 Roderick MacKinnon was teaching Gaelic at Perth Academy 6th Form when he wrote the well regarded manual for Gaelic Learners – ‘Teach Yourself Gaelic’. It was reprinted seven times by 1977 and is still in frequent use today. When the Mὸd was held in Perth in 2004 a Plaque was erected by the Gaelic Society of Perth at the Caledonian Road School to celebrate his life and achievements.
Niel Gow was a very well-known fiddler and composer who was born in Strathbraan, Perthshire in 1727 and died in Inver by Dunkeld in 1807. He was celebrated as a performer and entertained Prince Charles Edward Stuart at Dunkeld House on his way south in 1745.
On the 21st September 1931, according to the minutes of the Society, the Gaelic Society of Perth became a recipient of one of the four fiddles that had been possessed by the celebrated man. A descendent of Mr Gow had left instructions that a fiddle should be gifted to the Gaelic Society of Perth.
The Fiddle was deposited on loan to Perth Art Gallery and Museum in 1936 and restored by them when it was damaged by the floods of 1993.
A silver plate on the fiddle is inscribed:
Presented by Duncan McKerchar, Inver, Dunkeld, by J.R. Findlater CE 1851.
Members of the Gaelic Society with the Niel Gow fiddle.
The Stewart Memorial at Killin
The Rev. James Stewart, Minister of Killin from 1736-1789 had translated the New Testament scriptures into Scottish Gaelic for the first time. The first edition appeared in 1767 and 10,000 copies were printed. The Chief of the Gaelic Society of Perth in 1883 was Charles Stewart of Killin and he was a staunch Gaelic Revivalist and keen that a memorial should be erected to honour the achievement of James Stewart. Donations were sought by the Gaelic Society of Perth to erect a memorial at Killin in his memory and to celebrate his achievement and this was done in 1890. The Memorial was erected in the Square at Killin opposite the front entrance to the Parish Church. In 1906 there was concern that it needed some necessary repairs and cleaning – but the original custodians were all dead. The Committee of the Society agreed to act in that capacity. In 1928 eighty four members visited the Memorial as part of their annual outing and a commemoration was held. The Memorial continues to be maintained by the Society.